USC Aiken Equestrians Compete Against Regional Schools
Aiken, SC (10/09/2019) — The University of South Carolina Aiken Hunt Seat Team placed 5th in an Intercollegiate Horse Show Association event at Georgia Southern recently.
"Being on the USC Aiken equestrian team is an indescribable experience," said Alexa Duncan, a freshman on the team.
"All of the girls on the team work unbelievably hard, and as a team we are unstoppable. Our coach, Megan Martin, and all of my teammates have prepared me for anything that comes my way, whether it be in the show ring or in real life."
In addition to USC Aiken, several universities from Georgia and South Carolina participated, including Georgia Southern University, the College of Charleston, Clemson, Furman, the University of South Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Lander, Converse, Wofford, Wesleyan, and Middle Georgia State University.
During the event, several Pacers placed in individual categories, including:
- Anna Barnett, a freshman chemistry major from Florence, S.C. - Novice Hunter Seat Equitation, 1st place
- Abigail Hulsey, a sophomore industrial process engineering major from Chattanooga, Tenn. - Novice Hunter Seat Equitation, 2nd place
- Sophia Roden, a sophomore biology major from Matthews, N.C. - Novice Hunter Seat Equitation, 3rd place
- Ivy Strickland, a freshman biology major from Ridgeland, S.C. - Limit Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat, 2nd place - and -- Intermediate Hunter Seat Equitation over Fences, 3rd place
- Alexa Duncan, a freshman chemistry major from New Milford, Conn. - Limit Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat, 5th place
- Alexis Rohrer, a sophomore business management major from Lexington, S.C. - Intermediate Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat, 2nd place
- Alexandria Whisenant, a senior accounting major from Sebattus, Maine - Intermediate Hunter Seat Equitation over Fences, 5th place - and - Open Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat, 4th place
- Kaylin Phillips, a freshman nursing major from Aiken, S.C. - Limit Hunter Seat Equitation on the Flat, 3rd place
A couple of USC Aiken alumni also participated in the event's alumni division:
- Brooklin Kuipers, Class of '19 - Alumni over Fences, 1st place - and - Alumni Flat, 1st place
- Cheyanne Gray, Class of '19 - Alumni over Fences, 3rd place - and - Alumni Flat, 3rd place
Pacer alumna, Gray, a veteran IHSA competitor, is now organizing IHSA's Zone 5, Region 3 as the organization's alumni representative, which includes institutions in South Carolina and Georgia.
"We are extremely proud of all our riders, those who placed and those who are still contributing to this unique sport," said Michelle Hodge, staff advisor for the group.