New Student Body President, Other Leaders Announced
Aiken, SC (05/22/2020) — The University of South Carolina Aiken recently held student leadership elections, and as a result, Sam Boyd will be the Student Government Association's president for the 2020-2021 academic year.
"I wanted to run for SGA President because I feel like my skill set is uniquely built around leadership positions," the junior from Aiken said.
"This university has given me so much, so I feel like I should use those skills to give back and do the best I can to make sure other students get just as much out of their experience.
To date, Boyd as been taken on a number of leadership roles. He served as president of three student organizations: Delta Sigma Phi Faternity, the National Society of Leadership and Success and the e-sports club. In addition, he served as both chancellor and honors program ambassadors, as a member of the USC Aiken Student Advisee Judicial Board, and as a Pacesetter for two years.
"I am an experienced leader, for a college student that is, a strategic thinker, and an active and well connected student," said Boyd who is majoring in applied computer science with a concentration in cybersecurity.
"Those things are necessary for an effective presidency and will lead to a successful year."
Members of the university's administration and student-leaders alike will work closely with Boyd during his tenure.
"Sam is a methodical, thoughtful leader who seeks ideas and input from a variety of perspectives before making decisions," said Ahmed Samaha, vice chancellor for student affairs.
"I look forward to working with him."
As he looks to the opportunities and challenges of the coming academic year, Boyd has already mapped out his plan once sworn into the position.
"My vision for this upcoming year is to invigorate, empower, and inform," he said.
"I would love to see more students involved all over campus, taking part in activities and things outside of class, so I want to provide outlets for them to get excited about their semester.
"I want to empower them with the knowledge necessary to have the best experience they can have while at USC Aiken, and I want to answer many questions people have about how higher education works in the institution they've chosen."
The newly elected 2020-2021 student government officers and senators include:
- President - Samuel Boyd
- Vice President - Katlyn Johnson
- Secretary - George Sharpe
- Treasurer - Wilson Steinmeyer
- Campus Relations - Julie Reibsome
- Community Service - Amaya Emmons
- Commuter - Sofia Ferreira
- Historian - Eva Slagle
- Marketing - Hallie Anderson
- Parliamentarian - Luis G. Florido Lopez
- School of Education - Lauryn Laslie
- School of Business - Blessing Oladipo
- School of Nursing - Eduar Murillo
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences - Evan Jenkins
- College of Sciences and Engineering - Caroline Dempsey and Alex Sklizovic
- Athletics - Kyle Ready
- Global Studies and Multicultural Engagement - Jenesis Garcia
- Student Veterans Senator - Victoria Wodark
- Greek Life Senator - Maya Finley
- Student Media Senator - Bonnie Watson
- Residence Life Senator - Terrance Williams